“You have to think of your brand as a kind of myth. A myth is a compelling story that is archetypal, if you know the teachings of Carl Jung. It has to have emotional content and all the themes of a great story: mystery, magic, adventure, intrigue, conflicts, contradiction, paradox.”
– Deepak Chopra
If Deepak is right, then my career certainly has all the elements of a great story! One that is still being written. I’m fortunate to have excellent mentors, innate curiosity and an intrinsic drive to leave things better than I find them. These qualities allow me to find success in the face of risk, fear and failure.
Below are some stepping stones and achievements.
- 2001: As a college student, I became a file clerk in the legal department of a commercial real estate firm. I earned four promotions in four years and became the manager of all functions for a $40 million dollar asset.
- 2006: I accepted a role as a commission-only commercial real estate broker. I met my “draw” in my first full year (2007) with the firm and brought in several new multi-year tenant and landlord representation deals despite the beginning of the Great Recession.
- 2008: I joined the sales team of a non-profit organization and relocated to Denver, CO. I was promoted within nine months. Three months later I assumed the head sales role during a colleague’s maternity leave and increased sales by 35% in the 3 slowest months of the fiscal year. I subsequently cross-trained for events, financial, sales, marketing and community outreach functions then wrote a user manual following a company-wide software conversion. Additionally, I created and implemented the company’s Community Outreach program as well as the Resident Ambassador program. I closed out my time with the organization by spending four months in a lead sales role at the largest continuing care retirement community on the East Coast.
- 2013: I took a sabbatical to immerse myself in other cultures and broaden my perspective of the world. I spent five months backpacking solo in Guatemala, Belize, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. While traveling, I earned a TEFL/TESOL certification which honed my training skills and allows me to teach English as a foreign language to children and adults anywhere in the world.
- 2013: I returned to Baltimore and was invited to work as a Regional Sales Trainer for my former employer. I developed curriculum, taught classes, coached and trained employees and streamlined operations for an 8,000+ unit multi-family real estate portfolio. Additionally, I facilitated a company-wide software conversion while simultaneously aiding in a 5 property acquisition that increased the portfolio by nearly 25%.
- 2014: I could no longer resist the pull of the mountains, and returned to Colorado to accept the Director of Events opportunity that was created for me at the Pulitzer-Prize winning Denver Post. I executed one of the most successful events in the newspaper’s history, earning nearly $400,000 of sponsorship revenue in six short weeks.
- 2015: I accepted a digital marketing fellowship at a Boulder-based startup, Quick Left. I spent three months leveling up in the tech world and developed proficiency in marketing automation, inbound methodology, email marketing, social media, analytics and brand strategy. I also completed certifications in HubSpot and HubSpot Inbound. Most notably, I executed a 60,000 datapoint cleanup resulting in company savings of over $10,000 per year.
- 2015: I founded my marketing consulting business, Anchor Element. As Principal, I create and execute digital marketing strategies that drive revenue and increase brand awareness. My focus is on aligning people and process for sustainable growth. I am deeply involved in the Denver and Boulder startup communities and advocate mentorship across all my platforms.
- 2016-present: As the Global Marketing and Communications Manager for an international SaaS startup, I achieved 33% YoY revenue growth with a marketing team of only two people. I lead all events, awards, content strategy, social media, marketing automation, analytics and reporting. Additionally, I manage international relationships with all our analysts and industry organizations as well as all public relations. I collaborate with the Marketing Director, CEO and CFO to develop the annual integrated marketing plan and budget. Finally, I support our team with brand strategy, product marketing and sales enablement.
Interested in working with me? I’d love to hear from you!